RenoServices.ca Forum

RenoServices.ca Forum (http://www.renoservices.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General DIY Discussions. (http://www.renoservices.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Most useful handyman tools (http://www.renoservices.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=3)

10cents 08-03-2007 01:59 AM

Most useful handyman tools

Hi! :D

The success of DIY projects depends on our skills and tools. Skill, well, are sometimes lacking :) but having the right tools helps a lot. Aside from the basic carpentry set, plumbing tools, and other bits and ends, my most favoured tool is a self-powered drill. Very useful.

So which tool do you depend on?

hummingbird42256 08-03-2007 03:28 PM

Mine I use most is a hammer myself . I seem to be using that most. But just observing my hubby ,I see him using the screw gun most often. He has loads of tools though .It really depends on the chore at hand ,what tool he will use most. He is a very handy man and does lots of projects.He built our whole addition on our house. Two bedrooms and two baths. He hates plumbing though .SO mostly he will hire a plumber. He did most recently though replace out comode. :D

bountifulexplorer 08-03-2007 04:53 PM

My favourite tool for serious work? Probably the stanley knife (I don't know if it has a different name across the pond) - you can use it to chop up just about anything reasonably accurately. Almost every job I've ever done has needed one...even jobs that you wouldn't normally expect, so I couldn't be without it.

On a more 'dopamine-inducing' level though, it has to be the biggest hammer-type-thing I can find in my shed every time. I had to get rid of an old wooden bed a while back, and I've never had quite so much fun 'doing it myself' :p All those bent iron nails and shattering shards of wood...home improvement heaven... :rolleyes:

Yes. Nothing beats a bit of reckless destruction. Nothing.

10cents 08-04-2007 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bountifulexplorer
Yes. Nothing beats a bit of reckless destruction. Nothing.

lol

I can certainly appreciate that feeling :D. When we moved the wall of our living room I had stone masons do it 'cause I generally make a mess of wet concrete but I did volunteer for the job of bringing the wall down. Armed with a sledge hammer, it took less than 30 minutes to reduce it to rubble. Very satisfying. :D

azaleaeight 08-19-2007 05:48 AM

Must-Have Tools

This isn't very "handy man" of me, but I've found that with a couple of screwdrivers, a pair of pliers, and a hammer you can do a whole lot of things (even if its the hard way). ;)

luke 08-21-2007 09:34 PM

I find that pliers are always a good tool for undoing you mistakes. Screwdrivers are a must. Circular saws are my favourite though of course!! :p

azaleaeight 08-21-2007 10:09 PM

Circular Saw

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
i find that pliers are always a good tool for undoing you mistakes. Screwdrivers are a must. Circular saws are my favourite though of course!! :p

I can see how a circular saw would be anyone's favorite, but your choice of a circular as your "must have" tells us you aren't just someone who replaces and repairs - you're someone who builds/creates. My handy-man tasks are pretty much limited to repairing and replacing. :rolleyes:

10cents 08-29-2007 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azaleaeight
This isn't very "handy man" of me, but I've found that with a couple of screwdrivers, a pair of pliers, and a hammer you can do a whole lot of things (even if its the hard way). ;)

I understand, I once used a claw hammer myself to cut a 2x4 into 2. :D

I also have a circular saw but I don't have much use for it as I prefer the total control that the handsaw gives me.

harvcr 08-30-2007 08:03 AM

I'm not such a fancy man so I think a good hammer, screwdrivers, pliers, a measuring tape, a hand saw, and wrench would do it for me.
I think these tools are just enough to get things done around the house... if I need something else I call my neighbor :)

Rannek 08-30-2007 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10cents
Hi! :D

The success of DIY projects depends on our skills and tools. Skill, well, are sometimes lacking :) but having the right tools helps a lot. Aside from the basic carpentry set, plumbing tools, and other bits and ends, my most favoured tool is a self-powered drill. Very useful.

So which tool do you depend on?
Cha-ching, im with you on that one 10cents :). Get the job down quicker.