RenoServices.ca Forum

RenoServices.ca Forum (http://www.renoservices.ca/forum/index.php)
-   DoItYourself - Design and Decor (http://www.renoservices.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Painting your own house (http://www.renoservices.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=28)

harvcr 08-09-2007 12:42 AM

Painting your own house

Painting turns out to be somewhat expensive depending where you live. This is not a problem when you have a large budget for this kind of jobs. However, this is something that can be done by yourself and it saves you lots of money.
Here are some tips:

- Cover ALL windows with plastic, no matter if you're using a brush or a spraying machine. At least cover the edges with special Painting Tape.

- If you use masking tape on your window edge don't leave it there too long because it wont come off easily after the sun hits it directly. The glue melts and then you'll have to use cooking oil to get it off.

- Start from top to bottom, this way if you spill you can fix it later... :)

Any other tips?

10cents 08-09-2007 03:03 AM

Hi!

These are pretty basic but some people tend to overlook them:

1. The pro's jobs looks good because they use quality paint so let's buy good stuff if we want our projects to look like theirs.

2. Go for the best brushes and rollers. They maybe more expensive but they can hold more paint and apply an even coating.

3. Have a damp rag handy. Splatters can be wiped off easily if they're still fresh.

:)

etali 08-10-2007 08:24 AM

Great tips - especially the one about good brushes and rollers - the last time I used a cheap brush the bristles started falling off before I'd finished half of the back gate. I always use good rollers, and I was really proud of the job I did on the front wall of the last house I lived in - we managed to turn a terraced cottage into something that looked like a miniature country villa :)

kyleira 08-10-2007 03:11 PM

I believe that all have been covered very well. These are great tips for anyone to use. I know of people who take short cuts and have ruined carpet and other things by not paying attention to the tips that should have been used.

I never do a painting job alone. I always have at least one person there to help. The more you have the quicker you can complete the job. Maybe consider having one person to sit and supervise or clean up when paint is gotten on places it should not be.

10cents 08-12-2007 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etali
Great tips - especially the one about good brushes and rollers - the last time I used a cheap brush the bristles started falling off before I'd finished half of the back gate. I always use good rollers, and I was really proud of the job I did on the front wall of the last house I lived in - we managed to turn a terraced cottage into something that looked like a miniature country villa :)

:D

And I thought I was the only one who had some lousy experience with cheap paint brushes. I learned it the hard way when the bristles started falling off in the middle of a paint job and I have to run off and buy a new one. A good coat of paint can indeed do wonders. :)

azaleaeight 08-19-2007 05:51 AM

Don't forget to cover the bushes and anything else in the area.

Depending on how high the house is, you may want to invest in some scaffolding for your own safety.

EastWest 08-20-2007 02:40 PM

Great tips! I'm going to repaint my room this September. I'm sure that I'm going to use these tips.

Oh, and about the cheap paintbrushes? I had some experience with that. I bought a cheap paint brush to paint my bedroom door. It was a total disaster! The bristles fell off. Haha. So my dad had to repaint my bedroom door because I did a lousy job.