RenoServices.ca Forum

RenoServices.ca Forum (http://www.renoservices.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion - Stories and Advice (http://www.renoservices.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   When do you call in the Calvary (http://www.renoservices.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=82)

Gizmo 08-30-2007 06:35 PM

When do you call in the Calvary

Hi,

I have been doing alot o f DIY jobs, and most of the time I am sure I can do it all alone... But then once in a while I get so far into a project and it is just impossible that I need to call in professional. Most of the time though I go to far too long before throwing in the towel.

How about you, when do you decide that enough is enough?

Delysid 08-31-2007 04:04 PM

I decide enough is enough when I find myself skipping meals because I become far too involved with what I am doing. It's nice to actually take a step back now and again. Have a think about what you are doing and how you can do tasks better and more efficiently.

Karl 08-31-2007 04:15 PM

Good question. I, like yourself, usually "call in the calvary" too late. I like to think I can do it all myself, but sometimes it just doesn't work out as planned. Last year I tried to install a new window in the Kitchen. That attempt failed miserably and I ended wasting my time and inevitably calling in some professionals :(

flipax 09-01-2007 05:57 AM

I heard men are stubborn? :D I am too but before taking on a job usually took stock of things like my time, my work, and other things. I also know my limitations. So if it looks like I can't really do it even if I have the skills, I already schedule the cavalry. But they're not always the pros, most times they're my buddies. We help each other out with home projects and I'm lucky to have friends who know electronics, electrical stuff, masonry, carpentry, and plumbing. :)

sigs 09-02-2007 05:06 PM

i dont get too engrossed into DIY stuff. once my brain stops working and am not able to come up with some solution, then i hand it over to the pros who are usually my friends . they take over from me at that point.

shakiz26 09-05-2007 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo
Hi,

I have been doing alot o f DIY jobs, and most of the time I am sure I can do it all alone... But then once in a while I get so far into a project and it is just impossible that I need to call in professional. Most of the time though I go to far too long before throwing in the towel.

How about you, when do you decide that enough is enough?

I think if i was to do a diy job i think i would like to have a good go at it and take it to the end in finishing it but i also know that i won't be able to do that, so i'd have to say enough is enough for me when i can't be bothered doing the rest lol.

anto1963 09-27-2007 09:09 PM

I think I would call in the cavalry only if I absolutely had to, because,

1: there is nothing better, when a job is finished, than sitting back and enjoying the fruits of your own labour.

2: I hate having to admit defeat.

Having said that, i would call in help for jobs that I knew really were beyond my capabilities.