RenoServices.ca Forum

RenoServices.ca Forum (http://www.renoservices.ca/forum/index.php)
-   DoItYourself - Home Improvements (http://www.renoservices.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Any Tips On Building A Room in A Wet-ish Basement? (http://www.renoservices.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=68)

azaleaeight 08-25-2007 04:16 AM

Any Tips On Building A Room in A Wet-ish Basement?

The basement in question is dry all year, but when a lot of snow melts suddenly in Spring the pumps run.

In general, the pumps take care of the water. Sometimes, though, the water gets the better of the pumps and a "thin layer" of water may cover a quarter of the basement.

Has anyone successfully built a room in a basement that's that "level" of wet, and do you have any tips (or information you've learned the hard way)?

I'm mostly interested in how you handled the flooring, although I'd also be interested in any particular suggestions about other materials used.

hummingbird42256 08-25-2007 10:51 PM

Have you tried sealing the basement?Does it have finished walls or block? If it has block walls still ,you can try rolling block sealer on and see how that works.

katharina 08-26-2007 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azaleaeight
[COLOR=SlateGray]Has anyone successfully built a room in a basement that's that "level" of wet, and do you have any tips (or information you've learned the hard way)?

We've done this, but I'm afraid I won't be much help with making it better. Our room in the basement in our previous home was a photograph darkroom and we just built a higher platform to stand on when the basement was wet. If you mean a permanent room like a bedroom, I'm sure there are sealers to keep the water and dampness out.

Glass76 08-27-2007 07:41 PM

Make sure the sump pumps are covered

Quote:
Originally Posted by azaleaeight
The basement in question is dry all year, but when a lot of snow melts suddenly in Spring the pumps run.

In general, the pumps take care of the water. Sometimes, though, the water gets the better of the pumps and a "thin layer" of water may cover a quarter of the basement.

Has anyone successfully built a room in a basement that's that "level" of wet, and do you have any tips (or information you've learned the hard way)?

I'm mostly interested in how you handled the flooring, although I'd also be interested in any particular suggestions about other materials used.

If you're going to turn your basement into a room one thing you should do is make sure the sump pumps are covered. Sump pumps aren't always sold with covers, so many people don't realize how important they really are. A cover will keep pets, or even mice, out. Covers will also keep any dirt, dust, or other debris out. That helps keep the pump running longer and better.

Since pumps are run usually on house current (sometimes generators) the safest thing is to cover them to prevent possible electrocution hazard.

Glass76 08-27-2007 07:58 PM

Carpeting isn't a good idea

You probably have already thought of this. A tile floor is a better idea than carpeting if you know you'll get water over.

circusmama 09-27-2007 05:49 PM

You could also try a raised floor, but that would depend on how low your ceiling is. Otherwise, I would go with either tile or cement paint.