View Single Post
Old 08-04-2007, 08:05 PM

Default Re-pointing a Chimney

I had a slightly strange thing happened to me today - wonder if anyone could shed any light on it.

After a lunch out, I came home to find a hand-written note pushed through my letter-box. Reading it, it was from a small handyman in the area who, apparantley, had noticed a few weeks ago that my chimney needed 're-pointing'. He left a phone number to contact him with if I wanted him to do it for me, but didn't leave a quote.

The thing is, I have no idea either what chimney 're-pointing' is, or whether I really need it or not. I've never met such an odd way of advertising for work, which makes me think that maybe this man is genuine...I mean, could my chimney be posing a danger to anyone obvious enough for him to offer to help me out?

I know I'm being vague on the details, but I've told you everything I can; when I look at the chimney, nothing seems wrong - it's still there, on top of my house I don't have the fireplace below it opened up, so it can't be anything to do with that...anyway, I'm just a little confused. Perhaps he's just conning me?

If you can help, it'd be much appreciated