View Single Post
Old 08-21-2007, 08:56 PM

Default "Slap Dash" Isn't Wise Either

Of course, the other side to recognizing that tenants don't always take as good care of things is this:

When my niece first got married she rented one side of a duplex in a very nice area. The trouble was the landlord did a "slap dash" job of things, and that made it more difficult for her to clean and generally take care of the property as well.

An example is he had a new, inexpensive, countertop put in the kitchen while leaving a crevice between the sink edge and the counter. This meant it was a challenge for her to get that hard-to-clean crevice clean. He slapped in a kitchen floor that wasn't really flush with the wall, which created a challenge when it came to keep water out of that crevice when she washed the floor.

She kept the house clean, but she was always complaining about the little challenges involved in trying to clean without doing things like letting "floor water" get under the floor.

My point is: "Decent-enough" quality materials may be fine, but the installation of them needs to be done correctly. Otherwise, things like mold or other hidden problems can occur. Not all tenants would even think of some of the potential problems someone like my niece recognized.