RenoServices.ca - Find Renovation Experts across the GTA
   Home | RenoServices.ca Forum

Go Back   RenoServices.ca Forum > Do It Yourself Projects > DoItYourself - Home and Garden
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2007, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird42256
An alternative to large trees would be to plant ornamental trees. They wouldn't grow to the height of the larger variety,so should not pose a problem during storms.I myself have many oramental trees and I prefer these myself.Don't have to worry about them getting into power lines and such.We have power lines running directly across our front lawn so we cannot put large trees in.

This sounds like a great idea and I'd like to check into that. What are your favorite kinds of ornamental trees? I really like the looks of them when they're in full color (If I'm thinking of the kinds you mean). Would they be best planted in the fall or spring?
Old 08-28-2007, 02:15 AM

Ornamental trees? My personal favourites are African tulips, golden shower, and yellow showers. They don't grow huge too but doesn't provide much shade. African tulips bear stately crimson flowers and the golden and yellow showers burst into golden profusions during summer. Maybe you can try Japanese maples in your area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acer_palmatum
Old 08-28-2007, 08:03 AM

in total i have 9 tress within my boundary wall. recently planted 5 more mango trees. i never pruned them and they seem to be going fine without much care. actually these fully grown trees were already here before i shifted to this place.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigs
in total i have 9 tress within my boundary wall. recently planted 5 more mango trees. i never pruned them and they seem to be going fine without much care. actually these fully grown trees were already here before i shifted to this place.

Mango trees, eh? They provide really good shade and bear luscious fruits. But they can grow into giants if left unattended. I've seen 20 year olds that's over 50 feet tall. They're a deep-rooting species though.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:09 AM

Send a message via MSN to Rannek

I have trees in front of my house, however not blocking the view of our house. They actually make it look even better . We also live right behind a hill to the golfcourse (golf course view from house) so theres many small trees back there to make it look good .
Old 08-31-2007, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10cents
Ornamental trees? My personal favourites are African tulips, golden shower, and yellow showers. They don't grow huge too but doesn't provide much shade. African tulips bear stately crimson flowers and the golden and yellow showers burst into golden profusions during summer. Maybe you can try Japanese maples in your area.

I've seen some Japanese maples that look great, so that's a good sign that they would thrive in my area. I haven't heard of African tulips, so I'll need to check up on that to see which regions of the world they will grow in... sounds like a fun project.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rannek
I have trees in front of my house, however not blocking the view of our house. They actually make it look even better . We also live right behind a hill to the golfcourse (golf course view from house) so theres many small trees back there to make it look good .

Are those trees in your front yard the kinds that give off many fall leaves to rake? That's actually a good reason for us to have mostly shrubs here... all those leaves that we had before moving.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rannek

Hi!

We hope it's only the gorgeous view you are getting and no wayward golf balls. The right kind of trees often enhance the beauty of a house. We have 3 trees too near our house.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Hi!

Do you have trees around the house? I have 3 a few meters from 2 sides. Nice to wake up to the chirping of the birds. I prune them at least once a year to control their crown though, otherwise they would make a mess of the roof and gutters.

If you want to plant one near your house, make sure to consider spreading roots as they will break through concrete walks and walls.

We have a hugh tree that is gone sideways now it looks very stupid but the kids love climbing up it, but because we are not allowed to chop it down we have to leave it there, it's kind of annoying that it's there because it does block some of the sun in some parts of the house, but we do try to trim it from time to time.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:

Do you know the proper time to plant any of these in the northeast US? I'm thinking I read that fall's the time, but fall is here so I need to think about actually buying these things and get out of the planning stage. Are they indeed planted in fall... or spring?