RenoServices.ca - Find Renovation Experts across the GTA
   Home | RenoServices.ca Forum

Go Back   RenoServices.ca Forum > Do It Yourself Projects > DoItYourself - Home Improvements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2007, 08:05 PM

Default Re-pointing a Chimney

I had a slightly strange thing happened to me today - wonder if anyone could shed any light on it.

After a lunch out, I came home to find a hand-written note pushed through my letter-box. Reading it, it was from a small handyman in the area who, apparantley, had noticed a few weeks ago that my chimney needed 're-pointing'. He left a phone number to contact him with if I wanted him to do it for me, but didn't leave a quote.

The thing is, I have no idea either what chimney 're-pointing' is, or whether I really need it or not. I've never met such an odd way of advertising for work, which makes me think that maybe this man is genuine...I mean, could my chimney be posing a danger to anyone obvious enough for him to offer to help me out?

I know I'm being vague on the details, but I've told you everything I can; when I look at the chimney, nothing seems wrong - it's still there, on top of my house I don't have the fireplace below it opened up, so it can't be anything to do with that...anyway, I'm just a little confused. Perhaps he's just conning me?

If you can help, it'd be much appreciated
Old 08-04-2007, 08:09 PM

Pointing is generally a term to do with cementing and grouting. So its more than likely that its the actually chimney bit on top of your house that is looking unstable or something. I'd be wary of the note though unless its professionally printed.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:02 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bountifulexplorer
I had a slightly strange thing happened to me today - wonder if anyone could shed any light on it.

After a lunch out, I came home to find a hand-written note pushed through my letter-box. Reading it, it was from a small handyman in the area who, apparantley, had noticed a few weeks ago that my chimney needed 're-pointing'. He left a phone number to contact him with if I wanted him to do it for me, but didn't leave a quote.

The thing is, I have no idea either what chimney 're-pointing' is, or whether I really need it or not. I've never met such an odd way of advertising for work, which makes me think that maybe this man is genuine...I mean, could my chimney be posing a danger to anyone obvious enough for him to offer to help me out?

I know I'm being vague on the details, but I've told you everything I can; when I look at the chimney, nothing seems wrong - it's still there, on top of my house I don't have the fireplace below it opened up, so it can't be anything to do with that...anyway, I'm just a little confused. Perhaps he's just conning me?

If you can help, it'd be much appreciated

Here is a link to what you are looking for.http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/hx_ro...2271155,00.html

It means your motar needs replacing .Check out the link it will tell you how to do it and what it means.Hope this helps.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird42256
It means your motar needs replacing .
Pretty much what I said. In the above post. It will be the mortar on the bit of the chimney on your house.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:09 AM

Sorry Tom .We must have posted at the same time as your post was not there when I posted.But we both had the correct answer and thats what is important. This guy may just be trying to drum up some work for himself .Could be trying to be neighborly too.Hard to tell these days.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:03 PM

I too would be a little cautious of someone leaving a note, unless of course you contact him and ask him to come and give you an estimate then you can ask him about what he is talking about and so on. Have him show you what he is referring to and ask him for references to check out. If you can see work he has performed that is even better.

I would like to the thank the person that left the link to the DIY as this is good information to know.