RenoServices.ca - Find Renovation Experts across the GTA
   Home | RenoServices.ca Forum

Go Back   RenoServices.ca Forum > Reviews - Let's talk about Renovation Contractors and Companies around the GTA > Home and Garden
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2007, 05:19 AM

Default Giant Tree Roots All Through A Yard

The yard around the house is full of all kinds of really strong tree roots from trees that are about 40 years old.

Is there anything a person can do himself about these roots (which, needless to say, make yard care really difficult) without calling in a professional?

The roots are more like a network of strings, although there are some "woody", thicker ones around too.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:41 AM

I have heard of people putting wood chips around their trees or putting new fill dirt and grass, so that it can hide or places them back underground where they should be.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:19 PM

Default Tree Root "Network"

Aside from making yard work difficult (and being a tripping hazard), my concern is that - even farther underneath than where they're obvious - they may be "planning" to create problems around of under the foundation of the house.

The other thing I imagine is if we were to somehow cut through them ourselves whether or not we'd end up killing whatever trees they're attached to.

I know we could call "a professional", but this particular job is something I'd rather be able to do something about myself.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:43 PM

This seems to be a pretty hard job to do for yourself. I suggest that you at least call a professional to see what options they have or what they suggest. Of course, they'll tell you that your garden is in danger so you hire them but just do some research around to see what your options are.
This sort of job needs to be done correctly from the beginning so it doesn't become a pain later on.

Good luck!
Old 08-28-2007, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azaleaeight
Aside from making yard work difficult (and being a tripping hazard), my concern is that - even farther underneath than where they're obvious - they may be "planning" to create problems around of under the foundation of the house.

That's a more immediate concern if the trees are right next to your house. 40 year olds usually have a massive root system and what you see at the surface might just be the tip of the iceberg. A pro can identify your trees and determine their rooting habit. It might be necessary to girdle and kill them.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:56 PM

I had an instance of this where the roots of my trees were causing cracks in a free standing wall. The amount of work to get all the roots removed was unbelievable.

On the other hand as well I have had a friend that cut down all his trees in the garden, and it ended up almost like a swamp, because of the amount of water the trees absorb....

Last edited by Gizmo : 08-28-2007 at 04:02 PM.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo
On the other hand as well I have had a friend that cut down all his trees in the garden, and it ended up almost like a swamp, because of the amount of water the trees absorb....

That could be an issue. An arborist or forester could usually determine the best options considering all factors involved (species, climate, soil, and water). Sometimes the simplest route isn't the best to take.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:04 PM

Yes, there might be a better solution compared to what you might think is the easist one..

Sometimes it is better to get the professionals in to give advice.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:47 PM

Send a message via MSN to Delysid Send a message via Yahoo to Delysid

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleira
I have heard of people putting wood chips around their trees or putting new fill dirt and grass, so that it can hide or places them back underground where they should be.

Invaluable advice. This is exactly what I have done. It's also rather attractive!

Talk RSI - Discuss RSI related issues with fellow RSI sufferers.