RenoServices.ca - Find Renovation Experts across the GTA
   Home | RenoServices.ca Forum

Go Back   RenoServices.ca Forum > Do It Yourself Projects > DoItYourself - Home Improvements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2007, 02:21 PM

Default Cracked Sidewalk

It's not too awful yet, but we're going to have to replace a section of the front walk in the spring. Is there an easy do-it-yourself way to do this? We've gotten estimates and they were rather shocking for a tiny section of sidewalk... but I'm not sure that messing with the cement and stuff is worth it... what do you think? Is a professional better for that kind of work?
Old 08-28-2007, 08:19 AM

Although cracks in concrete can’t be made completely invisible, cracks can be repaired and made to look better. Anyone can repair cracks in concrete. It doesn’t take a professional to repair a simple crack and improve the appearance of a concrete driveway or sidewalk.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharina
It's not too awful yet, but we're going to have to replace a section of the front walk in the spring. Is there an easy do-it-yourself way to do this? We've gotten estimates and they were rather shocking for a tiny section of sidewalk... but I'm not sure that messing with the cement and stuff is worth it... what do you think? Is a professional better for that kind of work?

Doing rough front walk stuffs is one of the few masonry things I can do. Sigs right, there's not much to it. Grab a chisel or large nail, a hammer, a pair of gloves, goggles, and an old or cheap axe and start carving away at the crack down to where everything is level. Get some used 2x4s and place them against the edge of the walk to form some sort of mould. Get some cement and sand/aggregate into an old bucket and pour in water a little at a time. Mix until the right consistency is reached. Pour the thick stuff into the mould and scrape level the surface.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:50 AM

Send a message via MSN to Rannek

Yeah i agree with the above replies. Its very simple and very quick to do, if its a small crack then it shouldnt take more then a minute or two to fill it up. Then just wait for it to dry .