RenoServices.ca - Find Renovation Experts across the GTA
   Home | RenoServices.ca Forum

Go Back   RenoServices.ca Forum > Do It Yourself Projects > DoItYourself - Home Improvements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2007, 03:23 PM

Wink Tile Floors

We are laying a tile floor right now. We had it part laid out in our kitchen when my hubby decided he didn't really like the tile. So we took it all back out and are going with the 12" tiles. I am not sure I will like that But we will wait and see. Any one else doing any tile? We did use premixed grout before.But may go with the mix yourself type this time. Any suggestions?
Old 08-03-2007, 05:05 PM

What type of tiles are they? Standard ceramic wall tiles, or something designed for floors? Stone, perhaps? (You may have guessed that I know virtually nothing about floor tiles )

I got someone in to re-lay some blocks that had warped in my cherry-wood herring-bone wooden-tile floor, but that's about all I can give advice on. Of course, if you give me some more details I 'd be happy to scour the internet for any information that would be of assisstance to you. Just let me know

Oh, and must ask, did you manage to take the originally laid tiles back to the shop, or were they just thrown away? You must have wasted a terrible amount of money if you did that...
Old 08-04-2007, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird42256
We are laying a tile floor right now. We had it part laid out in our kitchen when my hubby decided he didn't really like the tile. So we took it all back out and are going with the 12" tiles. I am not sure I will like that But we will wait and see. Any one else doing any tile? We did use premixed grout before.But may go with the mix yourself type this time. Any suggestions?

We had our living room and kitchen floors tiled a while back. It was something I didn't dare do myself. It was a lot of hard work and the stone masons were constantly measuring things to make sure the tiles are in line and on the level.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:57 PM

Wink

Yes,It is not a job for everyone.My hubby does tiling though so he knows how to do it. Yes, we did throw out the tiles as some broke on removing them. They were not expensive ones ,thank God! You have to do part of the tiles and then go back and finish as you can't use the rooms otherwise.It is a task I do not enjoy as I help him to do jobs. I only hand him the tile though then help wipe down the grout.There is an art to it to make them come out right.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:00 PM

When laying flooring in kitchen or other non carpet areas, I really like the 12" travertine pieces. I know they are very expensive but they look great. They have been a great pleasure for me and my family and are not as hard to keep clean as most people would think.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:49 AM

If this is your first try at putting in tiles you may want to apply the mortar/grout to areas no bigger than two or three square feet at first - just to make sure all is going well with the application before applying more.