RenoServices.ca - Find Renovation Experts across the GTA
   Home | RenoServices.ca Forum

Go Back   RenoServices.ca Forum > Do It Yourself Projects > General DIY Discussions.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2007, 08:03 PM

Default Wasp Nest

I don't know if this exactly counts as DIY, but I feel I should probably ask here regardless as it is problem I have, and it's in my home

The thing is, I went up into the loft last winter and found a HUGE wasp nest. I never imagined that a nest could ever get so big...it's at least 3m long and 2m high, stuck up in my rafters. I don't think that there are any more wasps in it (at least there are none flying about in the attic), but I wondered, is it alright for me to just pull it down by hand?

My instinct is to say no and call in a professional (I once saw a television programme where they mocked up real emergency calls, and there was a similar situation in whih a dog dislodged a nest and the house filled with thousands of wasps), but I'm still left wondering...could it possibly be safe to do myself, and is there a test I could do to see if all of the wasps were gone?

It's not an urgent thing - but it's a bit like having a spot...now I've seen it, I want it gone - you know?

Any ideas?
Old 08-04-2007, 02:53 AM

Wink

Well now, we share a bit in common there. I also have a huge wasp nest in my attic. So I would be interested to see what anyone suggests.I thought once of setting off an insect fogger.the only reason I haven't is becasue I was afraid the fumes would get into the rest of the house. We had a fan that had a wasp nest and my hubby said there was nothing there because he had been carrying it from job to job.I hate wasps, so I knocked the nest down and out cames a wasp! So I would not take down the nest by hand unless I spray it with insect spray first.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bountifulexplorer
3m long and 2m high

Looks like you've got not only a colony there but a whole city. Due to the nest's massive size and population I would say to trust your instincts and call in the professionals. If it's smaller you could just smoke it a bit to calm the wasps and gently put a large garbage bag over the nest.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:55 PM

Okay thanks for the advice. I would've gone for the bin-bag approach, but I think I'd need some industrial sized liners to cover up this one. Seriously, it is absolutely massive - like I say, I never realised that wasps could build something so huge. I guess it explains the unusually high number we had last year in the garden though...

I was just wondering on two more things - firstly, is there a way to stop them from nesting in my attic again? Secondly, I've seen some spray-based products that 'dissolve' wasp nests - has anyone had any experience with these? Do you think that they'd work with a nest as big as mine?
Old 08-08-2007, 12:08 PM

Be sure to snap a picture of that nest, you might make it to guinness. The biggest I've ever seen was less than 2 feet long. One way of making your home wasp proof is install screen on each window and plug all the holes. An check every now and then also ensures those insects won't sneakily build another nest. Haven't tried that spray stuff but the nest is probably too huge to be dissolved and you still have the wasps to worry about.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:07 PM

When wanting to get rid of a wasps nest the best thing to do is to bring in a professional.

However some people choose to do it themselves. Here are some tips that will help you.

Pressurized Bomb (made for Wasps)

Do not use household insecticides, as they work too slowly and you will not have enough time to get away from the swarm.

Follow all of the direction on the bomb very carefully, so that you are not putting yourself and helper at risk.

Stand about 8-10 feet away from the nest.

Be careful to aim the stream right at the nests opening. As long at it hits the outside of the nest it will still kill the insects, but it will be much slower. (the entrance of the nest is best)

If you are allergic to wasp stings do not attempt to do this as there is a chance of getting stung, while doing this yourself.

OR TRY THIS

You will need these things: a helper who can stay calm, a half gallon or kerosene or diesel fuel (do not use gasoline), a shovel, a large wet cloth, protective clothing (as thick as you can stand to wear with a rubber like surface if available). Be sure to tie off jacket cuffs and pant legs so wasps cannot fly under clothing.

1- Pour or spray the fuel into the entrance of the nest. Do not light fuel, the fumes are enough to kill them.
2- Immediately cover the hole with wet cloth so the fumes or wasps (if there) will not escape.
3- RUN

I have used both methods several times and they both work very well.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleira

If you are allergic to wasp stings do not attempt to do this as there is a chance of getting stung, while doing this yourself.

You're right about this. It should be carefully considered before attempting to remove wasps or bees as a single sting can be life-threatening to an allergic person. The pros, at least, were already tested for allergies.

I'd surely go straight to the 3rd instruction, RUN, when faced with such a gargantuan nest.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:45 AM

Default Call the Professionals

If you've ever seen how they just come in, get the thing, and take it away you wouldn't want to do this one yourself.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:05 AM

In the last month I had to get to rid of some wasp nest out off my sister's house and my girlfriend's apartment.
I used a sort of wasp spray that worked really well. What you have to do is wait until night time and when they are sleeping you spray they wasp nest and they die just right there. Pretty simple!
Old 08-31-2007, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bountifulexplorer
Okay thanks for the advice. I would've gone for the bin-bag approach, but I think I'd need some industrial sized liners to cover up this one. Seriously, it is absolutely massive - like I say, I never realised that wasps could build something so huge. I guess it explains the unusually high number we had last year in the garden though...

This whole discussion is giving me total heebie jeebies. Shivers... that thing must be from out of a horror movie (this said from someone who detests bees of any kind). I'd call a professional without hesitation... it's better than those little monsters getting loose and hiding all over the house in case it *is* indeed filled with them.