RenoServices.ca - Find Renovation Experts across the GTA
   Home | RenoServices.ca Forum

Go Back   RenoServices.ca Forum > Reviews - Let's talk about Renovation Contractors and Companies around the GTA > Home Improvements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2007, 04:03 PM

Default Re-grouting tiles

In my bathroom, I have standard cream ceramic tiles on the wall above the bath, but the once dazzilingly white grout is now a rather repulsive shade of dirty yellow. I've tried scrubbing it, but to no avail - would it be a big job to bring it back to pristine condition?

I've heard of 'grouting pens' you can use, but, well, the name just sounds a bit gimmicky really, so I was wondering what all you experts out there would do in my situation. Does this require a whole weekend, or can I tie it up in twenty minutes?
Old 08-04-2007, 11:30 PM

Question

OK, I would like to know a similar answer. I have ceramic tiles very small ones that were laid by sheets onto my counter top in place of another type of counter top.We grouted it with a premixed stain resistant grout. Bad idea I think now. It does resisit stains but it also still gets dirty.I have placed a marble piece there to use for mixing cool ade and chopping and all around dirty jobs to save my grout.I still end up having to spray a bleach type cleaner on the counter and using a scrubber to clean the grout as it ends up looking dirty from use Is there a better way od keeping grout clean?Should I use a sealer on it? Would that help?Anyone know the answer to this?
Old 08-08-2007, 01:01 PM

Grouts, I hate it when they become dingy. That layer of grime is usually resistant to brush and detergent. If it's a major cleaning you want, try sandpaper and then a sealer. Grout pens are useless.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:33 AM

Let me tell you that grout pens only work effectively on clean surfaces... It is required to have a clean (not dirt and free from grease) and dry surface. Grout pens only work for discolored surfaces. I don't recommend Grout pens if your surface is dirty...
I think you should use sand paper because it works more effectively, however this will take you the whole weekend depending on how big your tile surface is.
Good luck and let us know if you get it off.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:31 PM

Grout pens do not work, I have tried them and they are totally useless in any case. What you can do is re-grout the tiles if there is a enough space for the grout to take place and set. I have done this with some tiles that I wanted to add color to. I would recommend that if you decide to take this step that you make it a darker color so that you do not have the same problem later.

This should not take more than a few hours to complete provided you have knowledge and prepared the tiles for the grouting.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bountifulexplorer
In my bathroom, I have standard cream ceramic tiles on the wall above the bath, but the once dazzilingly white grout is now a rather repulsive shade of dirty yellow. I've tried scrubbing it, but to no avail - would it be a big job to bring it back to pristine condition?

I have never tried one of those pens (and I'm sure I won't now after reading this thread ) and I've been thinking about re-doing mine, too... I'm leaning toward a total retiling project at this point. I know it won't be fast or easy, but I think it's time for a change.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:48 AM

Default Whitening Grout

There are grout whiteners. Here's an example:

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/...le-grout-sealer

There's a chance, though, that the grout you think you can't get white again may be able to just be cleaned. Have you tried Comet cleanser and a brush? (You could try making a Comet cleanser paste, and sticking wet paper towel strips over it. That keeps the Comet wet longer. Comet bleaches things, so it cleans things you wouldn't otherwise think could be cleaned.)

Then, too, there's the Comet Spray bathroom cleaner. This stuff is a miracle as far as I'm concerned. I had a light gray stain on the wall near the bathtub, and no matter how much I scrubbed it, it wouldn't come off. I assumed the wall was damaged, and the light grain was permanent. (Even Coment cleanser didn't clean this one.) Someone suggested the Comet Spray. I sprayed it on, let it sit for about a half hour, and went in and wiped the gray away with a paper towel.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleira
Grout pens do not work, I have tried them and they are totally useless in any case. What you can do is re-grout the tiles if there is a enough space for the grout to take place and set. I have done this with some tiles that I wanted to add color to. I would recommend that if you decide to take this step that you make it a darker color so that you do not have the same problem later.

This should not take more than a few hours to complete provided you have knowledge and prepared the tiles for the grouting.

i would have to disagree with you here, after using limescale remover and cleaning my tiles quite well, i have used a grout pen quite successfully!
Old 08-21-2007, 09:50 PM

Default Grout Sealer

Once clean grout has been achieved (either through cleaning or re-grouting) its wise to add a grout sealer to keep the grout looking clean.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:37 AM

Another trick I use to have squicky clean tiles and grout is dousing with Muriatic Acid. You have to check though with your local ordinances if they allow the use of caustic chemicals. And don't forget to wear the usual protective gears and goggles and open all the windows.