RenoServices.ca - Find Renovation Experts across the GTA
   Home | RenoServices.ca Forum

Go Back   RenoServices.ca Forum > Reviews - Let's talk about Renovation Contractors and Companies around the GTA > General Discussion - Stories and Advice
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2007, 02:58 AM

Default Contractors

Can someone here please give me a list of contractors who are reputable and capable of completing the job that they start. I have worked with some in the past that only stayed long enough to get some money and then I never seen them again. So because of this, I would like to find someone who will understand that the job gets done first then payment is made.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:47 AM

Good luck.

After some failed tries and some misunderstandings or spending etc. I have become a DIY guy. I donot like paying anyone because I have always seemed to end up with the ones that take three weeks for a one week job or who doesnt understand my requirements.

Luckly I have some good friends that help me out with the electric and plumbing, even though I have learned a lot working with them. We kinda exchange favours, which is great.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:13 AM

For the most I too am a DIY person, but I know that there are some people here that are so new to to it all that they need to have some guidance from the start to ensure they are doing it properly. I think that putting together a list for them is something that will be useful. Unfortunately if you cannot find anyone that does become a big problem.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:34 PM

I definitely have to agree with user Gizmo in regards to finding a contractor that is reputable. With my experience, I have found that many of them take the money and never come back. They want to be paid either before starting work or every day. I would prefer to pay them in a lump sum once the work is completed as per the agreement. But the continue to hound you for payment, so you finally give in and they do not show up for days and sometimes not at all. So you loose.

Another experience is:They have not performed what they agreed to do, and then claim that we never discussed it and request more money in order to finish the work. This is why having a contract is important with any contractor you choose then there is something in writing and they cannot change their mind later.

But trying to find a contractor willing to sign an agreement is very difficult as well. They always use the trust factor, as I call it.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:49 PM

Then as it sounds right now the consensus is that most people prefer to DYI for various reasons, inlcuding: cost effective business, not being able to find a reputable contractor. Is this what I gathered from this thread? Please correct me if I have mis-understood anything.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:42 AM

Default Contractors

The area in which you live wasn't clear to me.

Generally, it is recommended that people find contractors through others who have had similar work done. Obviously, we don't always know other people who have had such work done, but you could ask each contractor for references.

It is also generally recommended that contractors be paid for only a portion of the work, with the the balance of what is owed paid upon completion.

You could try looking for licensing agencies or other sources in your area that may show complaints about contractors. Sometimes that doesn't guarantee finding someone who is good, but it may screen out those who have been complained about too often.

www.pathnet.org has some ideas about selecting a contractor.