RenoServices.ca - Find Renovation Experts across the GTA
   Home | RenoServices.ca Forum

Go Back   RenoServices.ca Forum > Reviews - Let's talk about Renovation Contractors and Companies around the GTA > Design and Decor
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2007, 03:08 AM

Default Choosing Colors

What would you all recommend when choosing colors that complement each other in each room? Would you consider an accent wall or would it be better to paint it all the same color? What about smaller rooms, would you still paint the whole thing one color or maybe consider the accent wall.

Would you also choose colors that are closely related or total opposite for rooms that are adjoining other rooms but have some sort of half wall to separate them. Please help me out here.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:33 PM

I think my taste drives me to consider and accent wall with light colors that don't contrast too much with each other but that depends on the taste of each one. I like smooth transitions in color but I have to admit that some contrasts look good.
I personally don't like having a room that is just one color if it isn't white.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:47 PM

That is a very good question. I find that the colors depend on the room, its size, and the shape. Each property and room is different so using colors that complement the room or home would be what you want to look at. I have seen some very bold colors that I would not have chosen in rooms that make it stand out. Accenting walls are a great way to make a room look bigger than what it is, and it helps to detract from small rooms as well.

I also do not like rooms that are all one color, unless it is a very light color such as white or tan, cream something like that. I personally try to stay away from white anymore unless the room really requires that color for some reason.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleira
Would you consider an accent wall or would it be better to paint it all the same color? What about smaller rooms, would you still paint the whole thing one color or maybe consider the accent wall.

Would you also choose colors that are closely related or total opposite for rooms that are adjoining other rooms but have some sort of half wall to separate them. Please help me out here.

I haven't really gotten into accent walls yet... If I'd do that, I'd certainly want colors that are NOT a harsh contrast because I really don't like to see that. If it's a color that blends nicely with the other three walls I'd consider it.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:40 PM

Some of the ones I have seen are say one wall dark blue the others a lighter variation of the same scheme of blue. I know that the size of the room can be enhanced when small by making one wall the accent wall. But I think that not all rooms are designed for accent walls, and you have to be able to place the furniture in the room the right way in order to maintain the accent wall.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:06 AM

Default Choosing Colors

I'm not a fan of having any walls different from the other, unless that difference is something like a fireplace. My choice for breaking up any expanses of wall would be something more like chair rail.

I like one color on all ones, especially for smaller rooms. Smaller rooms can look "cut" with an accent wall.

I don't think all the rooms that are near each other need to be the same color, but they do need to complement each other.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:34 AM

As mentioned above, not all rooms are designed for accent walls and not all rooms should have them. Bedrooms are some rooms that I would not consider an accent wall in. Unless it were very large with some sort of extra area for a lounge or sitting area.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azaleaeight
I don't think all the rooms that are near each other need to be the same color, but they do need to complement each other.

I realize this every time I travel my staircase which is one bright color that was all the vogue three years ago and my daughter's door is open at the top of the stairs. hehe The color in that room is also nice, but side by side they don't look so great. In fact, I think one them is going to be needing a re-paint in the fall or spring.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:44 PM

Send a message via MSN to Delysid Send a message via Yahoo to Delysid

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleira
What would you all recommend when choosing colors that complement each other in each room? Would you consider an accent wall or would it be better to paint it all the same color? What about smaller rooms, would you still paint the whole thing one color or maybe consider the accent wall.

The modern day colours are like your browns and light/sky blues. I like lime coloured greens as well for walls and materials such as sofas and curtains. The contrast really brings out the best in a room. Psychologically speaking the greens and blues really give out a natural, earthy sort of feeling. Place a large mirror on the wall, a nice selection of beautiful plants - such as a spider plant, and you've got yourself your own cosy little room!

Talk RSI - Discuss RSI related issues with fellow RSI sufferers.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:08 PM

Instead of an accent wall why not consider trying two different shades/colours, one above the other. My son did this in his bedroom by using a dark blue on the bottom and a paler blue on top, with a paper border between the two. I personally think it makes the room feel cold, but he seems to like it.