RenoServices.ca - Find Renovation Experts across the GTA
   Home | RenoServices.ca Forum

Go Back   RenoServices.ca Forum > Reviews - Let's talk about Renovation Contractors and Companies around the GTA > Home and Garden
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2007, 02:52 AM

Default Fences

What type of fence is the best one to have? Which lasts the longest? is the least expensive? and can provide you with privacy for your yard? If you have the answer to any or all of these questions, I would like to hear from you.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:22 AM

Default Fences

Probably the most reasonably priced but nice looking fencing is the relatively new (not awfully new) white plastic fencing that is put up in sections. There is also resin privacy screening that is similar.

The most durable fencing (but expensive) is chain-link fencing.

Wood fences (post/rail, stockade, picket) are fairly durable, but they do rot. Stockade fencing sections are known for falling down after they're more than a few years old, and when one section comes down the next one will come down soon. (Of course, there is such a thing as the proverbial "fence mending".)
Old 08-20-2007, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azaleaeight
Probably the most reasonably priced but nice looking fencing is the relatively new (not awfully new) white plastic fencing that is put up in sections. There is also resin privacy screening that is similar.

The most durable fencing (but expensive) is chain-link fencing.

Wood fences (post/rail, stockade, picket) are fairly durable, but they do rot. Stockade fencing sections are known for falling down after they're more than a few years old, and when one section comes down the next one will come down soon. (Of course, there is such a thing as the proverbial "fence mending".)

Lots of good information here... thanks! I would truly like to do the back yard with some kind of fencing. The problem is that it's a pretty big back yard and the expense would probably be excessive. I don't think I'd want to block my view, though... therein lies another problem. I'd like the privacy of others not seeing *IN* but I'd like to see *OUT.* I guess I can't have it both ways!
Old 08-28-2007, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleira
What type of fence is the best one to have? Which lasts the longest? is the least expensive? and can provide you with privacy for your yard? If you have the answer to any or all of these questions, I would like to hear from you.

We have a wall cum fence made of concrete blocks and steel bars. It's not that cheap but it's been around for 10 years and we expect to be there for another 10. Concrete and steel are also very flexible and gives us several options on how to configure our fence. The cons? aside form the cost, it's quite boring, looking at the same fence for the rest of our lives.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:50 AM

at my place we have a wire netting and 6 feet tall hedge which acts as a fence. along with privacy it provides the much required greenery in my garden. i can show you a pic of it if you require. this requires no maintenance at all except for trimming of hedges once in a while.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:37 AM

I have a wooden fence and that is because it matches my deck. My fence cannot be seen from the front yard so I don't have anything fancy.
However, there are some houses that do require more fancy looking fences and in this case I recommend plastic fences because they are easy to install and looks good.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:50 PM

I have a Palisade, which is made up of steel bars, but they are pretty high, over 5 feet. They are low maintenance, if you get them painted and treated correctly the first time, that is very important.

I also have some wooden fences within my property, which is great, since I built them myself
Old 08-31-2007, 03:50 PM

Send a message via MSN to Delysid Send a message via Yahoo to Delysid

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleira

We tend to put up a cheap wood fence and then spray it green. That's what we have done in this house. I really do love the green paint because it keeps in step with the natural surroundings of the garden.

Talk RSI - Discuss RSI related issues with fellow RSI sufferers.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:16 PM

We have a wood fence that we spray with weather proofing once a year. The cost add up for a white fence but in the long run i do think this would be the best choice to prevent rot and having to replace your fence every 10 years. Our wood fence last about 7 to 10 years but with all the hurricanes we go through, we are always replacing it or our insurance replaces it.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:17 PM

I have brick walls as I only have a yard they are about 5 1/2 feet high and just need repointing periodically.
With a little imagination and a lot of paint you could paint any scene imaginable, and could change the design when required.