RenoServices.ca - Find Renovation Experts across the GTA
   Home | RenoServices.ca Forum

Go Back   RenoServices.ca Forum > Do It Yourself Projects > DoItYourself - Design and Decor
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2007, 12:42 AM

Thumbs up Painting your own house

Painting turns out to be somewhat expensive depending where you live. This is not a problem when you have a large budget for this kind of jobs. However, this is something that can be done by yourself and it saves you lots of money.
Here are some tips:

- Cover ALL windows with plastic, no matter if you're using a brush or a spraying machine. At least cover the edges with special Painting Tape.

- If you use masking tape on your window edge don't leave it there too long because it wont come off easily after the sun hits it directly. The glue melts and then you'll have to use cooking oil to get it off.

- Start from top to bottom, this way if you spill you can fix it later...

Any other tips?
Old 08-09-2007, 03:03 AM

Hi!

These are pretty basic but some people tend to overlook them:

1. The pro's jobs looks good because they use quality paint so let's buy good stuff if we want our projects to look like theirs.

2. Go for the best brushes and rollers. They maybe more expensive but they can hold more paint and apply an even coating.

3. Have a damp rag handy. Splatters can be wiped off easily if they're still fresh.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:24 AM

Great tips - especially the one about good brushes and rollers - the last time I used a cheap brush the bristles started falling off before I'd finished half of the back gate. I always use good rollers, and I was really proud of the job I did on the front wall of the last house I lived in - we managed to turn a terraced cottage into something that looked like a miniature country villa
Old 08-10-2007, 03:11 PM

I believe that all have been covered very well. These are great tips for anyone to use. I know of people who take short cuts and have ruined carpet and other things by not paying attention to the tips that should have been used.

I never do a painting job alone. I always have at least one person there to help. The more you have the quicker you can complete the job. Maybe consider having one person to sit and supervise or clean up when paint is gotten on places it should not be.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etali
Great tips - especially the one about good brushes and rollers - the last time I used a cheap brush the bristles started falling off before I'd finished half of the back gate. I always use good rollers, and I was really proud of the job I did on the front wall of the last house I lived in - we managed to turn a terraced cottage into something that looked like a miniature country villa

And I thought I was the only one who had some lousy experience with cheap paint brushes. I learned it the hard way when the bristles started falling off in the middle of a paint job and I have to run off and buy a new one. A good coat of paint can indeed do wonders.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:51 AM

Don't forget to cover the bushes and anything else in the area.

Depending on how high the house is, you may want to invest in some scaffolding for your own safety.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:40 PM

Great tips! I'm going to repaint my room this September. I'm sure that I'm going to use these tips.

Oh, and about the cheap paintbrushes? I had some experience with that. I bought a cheap paint brush to paint my bedroom door. It was a total disaster! The bristles fell off. Haha. So my dad had to repaint my bedroom door because I did a lousy job.