RenoServices.ca - Find Renovation Experts across the GTA
   Home | RenoServices.ca Forum

Go Back   RenoServices.ca Forum > Reviews - Let's talk about Renovation Contractors and Companies around the GTA > Home Improvements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2007, 02:35 PM

Default Question

Has anyone ever used materials pulled from another job site? I have been given some cabinets which are only a few years old and want to put them in a unit that I am renovating. What do you think of this as far as resale value. I would really appreciate your opinions on this.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:57 AM

I renovated one of my rentals bathrooms with tiles and accessories from a friends bathroom. I basically took the tiles of the walls and reused his bath and toilet. It gave me a huge savings as he asked me to help him tile in exchange for the material.

I see no problems in doing this, might not do it in my own house, but for my rental properties I am fine with it.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:39 AM

I can see where it is the most beneficial when dealing with rental properties and some of mine get pretty beat up and using these from others has helped to save a bunch of money when remodeling after a bad tenant. I just wanted to know if others were doing this as well.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleira
I can see where it is the most beneficial when dealing with rental properties and some of mine get pretty beat up and using these from others has helped to save a bunch of money when remodeling after a bad tenant. I just wanted to know if others were doing this as well.

I think using things like that for rental properties is always a good choice... well as long as it's in proper working order, of course. It's a great way to save money, and like you said, you never know how a tenant is going to take care of the items in the apartment or house.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:40 AM

Default Re-Using

I don't see a problem with re-using, as long no damage has occurred in the removal process. If you remove the stuff yourself its less likely to be damaged than if you have someone else yanking it out in a hurry. Of course, if you tell anyone doing the work that you plan to re-use they may use some extra care.

It would seem to me that there would be more to be gained by re-using than by trying to sell some things.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:53 AM

In fact I think this is a great idea that will save you quite a bit of money. I don't see a problem with re-using materials as long as they are in good condition don't show damage or are wear off.
Just repaint your cabinets and they will look great!
Old 08-30-2007, 02:57 PM

Send a message via MSN to Rannek

I agree, you will save big $$$ if you use those. I'd take a good look at it though and make sure it doesn't look beat up.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:01 PM

Send a message via MSN to Delysid Send a message via Yahoo to Delysid

Quote:
Has anyone ever used materials pulled from another job site? I have been given some cabinets which are only a few years old and want to put them in a unit that I am renovating. What do you think of this as far as resale value. I would really appreciate your opinions on this.

Speaking of such, if you actually go to a builder's yard, they throw so much stuff away that you can actually use to renovate and improve your house. I do this at least once every 2 weeks to see what I can pick up.

Talk RSI - Discuss RSI related issues with fellow RSI sufferers.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:17 PM

Quote:

I too have had problems with tenants trashing things in a rented house and, thanks to your really good suggestion I'm going to look into getting some pre-owned kitchen units.

I already use pre-owned furniture, as sadly it seems some tenants don't seem to give a damm if things get damaged.

Watch out Ebay, here I come.