RenoServices.ca - Find Renovation Experts across the GTA
   Home | RenoServices.ca Forum

Go Back   RenoServices.ca Forum > Reviews - Let's talk about Renovation Contractors and Companies around the GTA > General Discussion - Stories and Advice
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2007, 05:47 PM

Default Window Coverings for rentals

Having read many articles on which type of window coverings are best for rental properties, I have found that both curtains and shades or blinds are equally looked at. They both have advantages and dis-advantages that should be taken into consideration.

For example: Some landlords like to put blinds as they look better and help to show the unit better. While for others curtains work better because they spend less time replacing them and curtains are easier to keep clean .

What are your views on this and how do you decide which window coverings to put in a unit? Have you ever considered letting the renter do it themselves.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:01 AM

Default Window Coverings in Rental Property

It would never occur to me to consider putting up curtains or drapes. Letting the renters choose their own curtains or drapes is acceptable, I think.

I've always figured nice, clean, new, shades are best. Not everyone likes blinds, and blinds are more expensiive and more likely to become broken.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:38 AM

I agree about the blinds they are more likely to get broken. Would you recommend then placing the curtain rods, as I do not want renters putting rods in as they may not meet my requirement. Or do you think I should just try shades.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleira
I agree about the blinds they are more likely to get broken. Would you recommend then placing the curtain rods, as I do not want renters putting rods in as they may not meet my requirement. Or do you think I should just try shades.

I think that if curtains or blinds are not going to be included in the rental, it would probably be a good idea to put the rods there yourself, yes. If you do, though, you'd probably have to be sure to tell them that they can use the rods for their own curtains but that they shouldn't hang other rods.

As a side note, I rented an apartment once where the curtains were provided and they were hideous.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:47 PM

Default Curtain/Drapery Rods in Rentals

Putting up the rods in rentals is a good idea because:

1. Tenants are more likely to hang curtains if the rods are already there (rather than having to take the time to figure out what kind of window fixtures are needed, measure, etc.) Rods for picture and bay windows are a little tricky and a little expensive. Renters may either think they're too expensive and difficult to put up to put up their own. Rods for smaller windows are inexpensive, and those are the windows renters are less likely to be willing to leave without curtains (which can mean yet more holes in the wood).

2. It reduces the chances of a tenant's drilling extra holes around the window or otherwise making holes or or further compromising the window frame or walls around the top of the window.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:27 PM

I've seen that many landlords like to have blinds on their units, at least on the area where I live. Many of them don't like using drapes or curtains because they need to be replaced more often than blinds. I've also seen that many tenants expect their landlords to have this ready for them so they don't have to buy blinds or curtains on their own.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:35 PM

We used to own rental property. We had the windows draped but no blinds.They are to easily broken .I think they can buy their own if they so desire them.I also told them they had the option of replacing the drapes if they wanted, but use the existing rods.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:21 PM

Default Drapes in rental units

If the property is a single-family home most people want to put up their own draperies.

If the rental property is in an a condo complex there can be the matter of having the windows meet the requirement of the complex.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:28 PM

I have been given some thought over this the last couple of weeks, as I am in the process of buying two apartments, and I was not sure what would be the best to install. As a landlord you do not want something that takes too much out of your cash flow over time, so high maintenance is out of the question. But you guys have given me some great ideas, and I might implement a mix, some places blinds, as these are very closed windows, while others set up rods and let the tennants put up their own curtains..
Old 09-27-2007, 08:50 PM

I put curtains into the house that I rent out. I chose neutral colours, and didn't buy expensive ones as i think everyone has their own tastes in decor, and tenants tend to try and add their own personal touches, and won't feel so bad if they alter things.