RenoServices.ca - Find Renovation Experts across the GTA
   Home | RenoServices.ca Forum

Go Back   RenoServices.ca Forum > Reviews - Let's talk about Renovation Contractors and Companies around the GTA > General Discussion - Stories and Advice
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2007, 05:31 AM

Default Wall Paint That Looks Darker Once Its On The Wall

Most people realize that once new paint is on the wall it may look darker, but even knowing that isn't always enough to help a person select the right color at the store.

Does anyone have any tips or "rules of thumb" that may help the person shopping for paint know he/she will select the right shade?
Old 08-19-2007, 02:36 AM

I generally choose a color then look on the scheme for the color just above or lighter and go with that color. Sometimes I have a small piece of white or other color wood so that I can see how it goes on. If that does not work I can always add one or two drops of darker paint to make it dark if it is too light.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:14 PM

What I do is bring a small piece of wood to the store and check how the different shades look on that piece of wood. If you do this make sure that there is enough light so you can actually see how it looks like. After I buy the paint I write the name down for future reference.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:55 PM

Send a message via MSN to Rannek

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvcr
What I do is bring a small piece of wood to the store and check how the different shades look on that piece of wood. If you do this make sure that there is enough light so you can actually see how it looks like. After I buy the paint I write the name down for future reference.
Great tip. Thanks for the information, i might use that next time i go . I usually just talk to the person who is working and ask him if the color changes much when you place on the wall.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:29 PM

I also used to take a wooden piece with, or what ever material I was going to paint on, like a roof tile. It does help, the only problem it that you must remember to let it dry before making your decision..
Old 09-01-2007, 06:27 AM

Well, it's indoors so paint may look darker. So maybe we can choose a lighter shade of any color we want at the store so they'll look right when splashed on our walls. Light shades works best for rooms anyway, creates the impression of space.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:59 PM

A lot of paint suppliers now sell tiny pots of paint so you can take it home, paint it on the required surface and then you will get an idea of how it will look when dry. They're also useful for touching up marks on walls.