RenoServices.ca - Find Renovation Experts across the GTA
   Home | RenoServices.ca Forum

Go Back   RenoServices.ca Forum > Reviews - Let's talk about Renovation Contractors and Companies around the GTA > Design and Decor
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2007, 02:37 PM

Default Staging?

When I was visiting friends in the U.S. we watched a show and they would stage a house before they sell it. What I mean in strategically place furniture so that it was more appealing to buyers. Has anyone ever done this and does it really work? I would also like to know if there are any places around that rent furniture to do something like this.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:38 PM

I think this is a great idea and it would totally work but you have to be careful on how much furniture you place in the house. Some people like to see the big empty space when they buy a house because this makes them think they have plenty of room for their purposes.
But I must agree that the house would look nice with some furniture around which gives the buyers a better idea of how it is going to look like if they buy it and it makes it feel more like home...

Old 08-11-2007, 04:42 PM

I have done both of these methods and find that most of the time, the only way furniture is ok is when the seller is still living in the house. Honestly, when I purchased my home it was empty, and I enjoyed that because I could place my own furniture or things I wanted to get later into the room in my head and know that I can do the things that I wanted to do with it.

Maybe for some houses having the staging as you called it is a good thing. I guess that it could help people to see that their furniture might fit in a room vs. looking at a room and thinking it is too small for the furniture.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleira
When I was visiting friends in the U.S. we watched a show and they would stage a house before they sell it. What I mean in strategically place furniture so that it was more appealing to buyers. Has anyone ever done this and does it really work? I would also like to know if there are any places around that rent furniture to do something like this.

I like the idea of staging but I think it could be a little risky. When we were looking for this house, I was glad to see the actual size of the rooms. The first thing I did was to imagine where I'd put my furniture. As it turned out, we bought mostly new furniture, but I didn't know that at the time.

I think if there had been furniture here (even if it would have been in a style I like... therein lies the "risk" part) it would have made buying a more difficult decision because each room was perfect in my mind since it was a blank canvas.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:38 PM

I guess it works for those people who do not have an imagination to be able to see what the room would like with furniture. But as you said that sometimes it might be better to see it though your eyes with your own furniture. You may be disillusioned buy what you see in the room if it were staged.

I say this because you might have more pieces of furniture or larger furniture than that which is displayed. For example: some people have smaller size couches than other people do, while others use chairs or might have coffee and end tables.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:24 PM

Quote:
I guess it works for those people who do not have an imagination to be able to see what the room would like with furniture. But as you said that sometimes it might be better to see it though your eyes with your own furniture. You may be disillusioned buy what you see in the room if it were staged.

I say this because you might have more pieces of furniture or larger furniture than that which is displayed. For example: some people have smaller size couches than other people do, while others use chairs or might have coffee and end tables.

This is very true. I haven't really seen any examples of staging, so I don't know if they set up a whole room, or partial or what, but I think a lot of people might be disappointed to see their own things in a room that had been filled with fancy furniture, as one example.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:40 PM

We just went to an auction today. When we walked through the hous, I loved it. The bedrooms were still filled with the beds and basics.It showed the true size of the rooms and though all bedrooms were a bit on the small size,I could see that even though small they were very nicely done. The other rooms still have enough furniture to look airy and pleasant .So I would say get rid of clutter and still leave basic furniture. Just enough to get the fill of home.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:39 AM

Quote:

Hi!

I read something about this and it's actually done and recommended by professionals, the one who sells houses for big bucks. It's suppose to make stark spaces more homey and friendly and gives the buyers an idea of how the place would really look given the proper treatment.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10cents
Hi!

I read something about this and it's actually done and recommended by professionals, the one who sells houses for big bucks. It's suppose to make stark spaces more homey and friendly and gives the buyers an idea of how the place would really look given the proper treatment.

Yeah I see your point... If I were to buy a house, I'd picture how it would like when I move in... You know, the kind of thing that when you're in the house you think "oh I could set up a home theater system here, a couch there, the TV just right there, etc"
If the house has already some furniture, this would be really to image, making the buyer feel like home!
Old 08-31-2007, 03:36 PM

Send a message via MSN to Delysid Send a message via Yahoo to Delysid

I have actually studied Feng-Shui at an art college. I found it absolutely fascinating how the Chinese believe you can positive and negative vibes from the way the furniture was arranged. There were a lot of taboos when it came to the arrangements to distract the evil spirits from entering the serene home.

Talk RSI - Discuss RSI related issues with fellow RSI sufferers.