RenoServices.ca - Find Renovation Experts across the GTA
   Home | RenoServices.ca Forum

Go Back   RenoServices.ca Forum > Do It Yourself Projects > General DIY Discussions.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2007, 01:52 AM

Default DIY projects you do?

Hi!

What kind of do it yourself projects do you do around your home? I usually to a bit of landscaping, painting, plumbing, and carpentry. But my most recent project of resurfacing a concrete wall was a total disaster and I have to call in the pros.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:45 AM

We do lots of things around our house.We bought our home 10 yrs ago and still are not finished working inside or out.Always some project to do.We do landscaping and remodel .My hubby has his own drywall business but does lots of other things.I do painting.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:48 PM

I don't do anything well - but I give everything a go

I fitted a water-feature about a year ago now, and it sort of looks okay...apart from the £160 fountain only spraying at about 30 degrees from the vertical into the lawn - I've tried to prop it up, but I just have no skill with that sort of thing. Painting is okay - I can paint walls and bookshelves well - ceilings and tables, well not so good. And woodwork? I needed a cat-flap last month, and now I have a huge hole in the porch.

So, all in all, I'm a bit of a 'hands-on' disaster. But I love every second of every project - never knowing what's about to make you realise you should probably call in a professional. Yes - really good fun. That's why I'm here though - maybe, just maybe, to improve. Either way I won't stop doing home 'improvements' - my endless source of comedy gold
Old 08-04-2007, 07:34 AM

lol

Practice makes perfect.

The first time I did a major plumbing job for a buddy (for free beer ), the joints bursts after a week. I learned a valuable lesson, never to trust plastic pipes and adhesives. I guess goofs and laughs are part of a DIY's life.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:18 AM

Wink

We have lots of projects planned. Soon we will build another room on. We need one just for the junk my hubby collects .lol We plan on putting in a stone fireplace.My hubby though is a drywall installer and finisher by trade .But he does lots of different things.So I don't worry about our projects turning bad.They are just expensive. When we bought our place it looked mostly like the old house on the "Green Acreas" was that the name of it? The old sitcom with Eva Gabor?
Old 08-07-2007, 10:38 AM

I do a lot of things around the house. I am not exceptionally good but at least I'm trying.

I landscaped our garden twice already. The first time wasn't so good. The second time was better. I'll show you a picture soon.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:02 AM

Unhappy

It has been so hot here this week that I am afraid all my plants are going to die.It is 100 and tomorrow is going to be hotter.I had to water the most important ones this morning. I don't want to lose my flowers. My grass is also dieing. There is no rain either.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird42256
It has been so hot here this week that I am afraid all my plants are going to die.It is 100 and tomorrow is going to be hotter.I had to water the most important ones this morning. I don't want to lose my flowers. My grass is also dieing. There is no rain either.

Do a raindance? Kidding. It reminded me though of a region 600 miles from here who was suffering from heat and drought. The clergy finally decided to organize an intercessory prayer a week ago. Someone must've heard their prayer 'cause a deluge has poured down the past 2 days and the streets were flooding up to their waist.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:07 AM

I used to do tons of DIY, but now I live in a block of flats where you have to get planning permission to breathe. Now I just do small stuff around the house, and build flatpack furniture.

I can't wait to move into a proper house again
Old 08-10-2007, 02:41 PM

DIY projects can be fun and some are downright hard. But we try to do most everything that we can around the house in order to save money on labor costs. We will do plumbing, landscaping, painting, flooring, and some structural changes have occurred as well.

The only thing I can really say is when a project becomes too much know when to call in those people that have experience. We rarely do this because we have been the ones who have always renovated our own properties.