RenoServices.ca - Find Renovation Experts across the GTA
   Home | RenoServices.ca Forum

Go Back   RenoServices.ca Forum > Do It Yourself Projects > DoItYourself - Home and Garden
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2007, 03:02 PM

Default Garden ponds?

Does anyone have a garden Pond? We have a small one . We have fish also .Right now we have an algae problem. We leave our fix in all winter and so far they have survived about 4 winters that way. I love my garden pond.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:15 PM

I have a friend that have a pond in the garden. He says twice a year he will scrub the pond, but not use any chemicals. Then when he pours in new water he adds a certain chemical that will ensure it is liveable for the fish. I am not sure if it would help, but he suggested that you might look also at if there is any in pour of water into your pond with water that is high in fertilizer or other algea accelerators.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:08 PM

Sorry to not understand - but do you think you could explain the problem again? Are you suggesting that, instead of adding chemical to make the new water habitable for the fish he just check to see if standard water would be okay? Or are you suggesting testing the pond water to ensure that there is nothing in it that would make it dirty faster?

If it's the latter, then you might have a point, but I think you generally just have to accept that 'living' ponds get dirty and require a clean out every now and then to look their best.

Does this help? If it doesn't I'll be more than happy to assist one you've clarified what you want
Old 08-04-2007, 07:55 AM

Hi!

What Gizmo's saying is that algae needs lots of sun and nutrients to grow and multiply so water with high organic matter present encourages massive algal growth. Algae also provides food for fish but too much of them will provide a suffocating environment.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:12 AM

Yes, I think you are right.We had a blue gill in there and he died. I do think it was from the algea.It was so green you could not see in it. I keep taking out my filter and cleaning it but in no time it is needing it again.I think it is because it is in the sun. I do have 2 potted plants in there.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:39 PM

The water also is probably too rich with organic nutrients. From where does it came from? You could probably put more large water plants like waterlillies or horsetails so they'll help use the nutrients.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:10 AM

Wink

We do have 2 water hyaceths.We usually have floating plants like water lettuce or something .This year we never got around to getting any.The usually take over and multiply anyway. You cannot keep them over winter,so you have to keep replacing them.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:21 AM

You are not the only one with this problem. I have a friend who has one and has the same problem.

Algae is one of the most talked about topics of new pond owners, and controlling it is more of a problem when you do not have proper balance of plants and animal life. Having properly installed equipment and a pump that moves at least one half of the total pond volume is essential. Besides moving the water it should also be filtered. These along with balance mentioned above will ensure that you do not have large amounts of algae.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird42256
Does anyone have a garden Pond? We have a small one . We have fish also .Right now we have an algae problem. We leave our fix in all winter and so far they have survived about 4 winters that way. I love my garden pond.

Every time I see a garden pond somewhere, I come away thinking that I'd really like one. I saw a beautiful one just this morning on my way to the shopping center. We haven't done it yet, though. Wow, 4 winters! I wonder if you have as much snow and ice as we do all winter long?
Old 09-02-2007, 05:10 PM

i dont have one and dont want to own one. its too much of a responsibility. too much of cleaning and attention required for this particular DIY project.