RenoServices.ca - Find Renovation Experts across the GTA
   Home | RenoServices.ca Forum

Go Back   RenoServices.ca Forum > Do It Yourself Projects > DoItYourself - Design and Decor
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2007, 04:10 PM

Default Built-In Bookcase?

I would truly love to have a large built-in bookcase in my home. I don't know at this point whether it would be a do-it-yourself project or a contractor project... has anyone had this done? If you did it yourself, was it fairly easy or a nightmare?
Old 09-01-2007, 05:21 AM

I have built some bookshelves although their not craftsman style, just plain one. I used light weight composite boards, ripping them into the appropriate width with a circular saw. I then affixed the boards into a concrete wall using angle brackets.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:03 PM

Built in bookshelves are quite easy to do. They just take some planning and patience. You dont want to get this wrong, like with anything else you do in your house.

I built an oak build-in bookshelf in one of our rooms that we turned into a library. It was quite an experience and it took long to plan right and to prepare the oak boards and cut them in to the correct pieces, etc...

But the results was quite good, if I might say so myself

But like I said, make sure you get the right measurements, and that you know how you want it, you dont want to get something wrong with this or get the allignements wrong...
Old 09-26-2007, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo
I built an oak build-in bookshelf in one of our rooms that we turned into a library. It was quite an experience and it took long to plan right and to prepare the oak boards and cut them in to the correct pieces, etc...

But the results was quite good, if I might say so myself

But like I said, make sure you get the right measurements, and that you know how you want it, you dont want to get something wrong with this or get the allignements wrong...

This is encouraging to read. Yes, I know it would be vital to get the measurements right. I'd do it for a library on our top floor, too. Did you devise the plans yourself or have some kind of guide first?