RenoServices.ca - Find Renovation Experts across the GTA
   Home | RenoServices.ca Forum

Go Back   RenoServices.ca Forum > Do It Yourself Projects > DoItYourself - Design and Decor
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2007, 08:52 AM

Default Painting old furnitures

Hi!

Paint could give new life to old and cheap furnitures. I painted an old cabinet using a putty knife and paint mixed with putty. The result was an uneven coat that looked rough. My mom hated it.

But if the furniture's made of real hardwood, a good rub with a bit of wax or polish are all they need.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:00 PM

Speaking of that, I'm considering giving an old bureau I have a rub down and re-varnish - any tips? I think it's made of teak, but I'm not 100%. Can I just get the sandpaper to it, rub a little, and then slap on some appropriately coloured varnish?

Or perhaps this is another job for those 'professionals' who seem to live at my house now?
Old 08-04-2007, 11:53 PM

Ok, Im not saying this works for everything.But we had a coffee table that the finish had came off in spots.My hubby took an electric sander ,Not sure what grit paper he used, but he sanded it off. Then he put the poly on for shine and protection.Looked great .As good as new! Maybe that would work but can't say for sure. I know some peices are shaped where it would be impossible to use an electric sander on them.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bountifulexplorer
Speaking of that, I'm considering giving an old bureau I have a rub down and re-varnish - any tips? I think it's made of teak, but I'm not 100%. Can I just get the sandpaper to it, rub a little, and then slap on some appropriately coloured varnish?

Or perhaps this is another job for those 'professionals' who seem to live at my house now?

Teak?!? You've got yourself a treasure. You might want to treat it better than slapping on varnish.

A fine grade sandpaper will bring out a new surface (by hand or orbital sander) and you can use wax to bring it to an appropriate sheen.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bountifulexplorer

We've re-done bureaus. Needless to say, you need to make sure its solid wood; but then you can sandpaper and add stain. Before putting all the stain on, though, test to see what it looks like on the wood. Stains look different on different woods. We once got an almost black bureau because we didn't test first.