RenoServices.ca - Find Renovation Experts across the GTA
   Home | RenoServices.ca Forum

Go Back   RenoServices.ca Forum > Do It Yourself Projects > DoItYourself - Design and Decor
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2007, 02:59 PM

Default New inventive ideas?

Does anyone have any new and creative ideas. Maybe how to use flea market and yard sale items to decorate?
Old 08-03-2007, 05:17 PM

New and creative ideas? Well, not really - but I did invest in a beautiful thing last year which has really changed my dining room...a bold antique piano. I'd always played before on an old upright thing, so was glad for musical reasons to get a better instrument - but the new piano really adds a touch of elegance to the room. I guess what I'm suggesting is: consider going to an antique dealer with an open mind. There are probably lots of things there that you would never think to have a use for, but when in a suitable location can look just fabulous, and really change your environment for the better.

Another example - I knew a woman a while back who managed to get a real British red pillar box post-box from a dealer, and now she uses it as her letter-box. This isn't the best example because it doesn't involve a room, but you can see what I mean...just be creative. Always creative
Old 08-04-2007, 07:43 AM

Some of my great finds in flea markets are old home decor magazines that gets my creative juices flowing. I also have a whole bunch of old Sunset mags which helps a lot with landscaping ideas. Some of the things I've imlemented include a bench of weathered hardwood plank propped on stones and a pot salvaged out of a broken urn.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:41 PM

Cool

Nice,sounds rustic. I like the sound of it. I can see things and how I want them to look in my mind .But I have a hard time making them come together.I have red clay dirt in my front yard. That is hard to work with.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird42256
Nice,sounds rustic. I like the sound of it. I can see things and how I want them to look in my mind .But I have a hard time making them come together.I have red clay dirt in my front yard. That is hard to work with.

Tough! Not a lot of plants likes red clay. Aside from the very fine texture which discourage root growth, it's also acidic. Maybe, you can layout boulders and flag stones to form walks and borders then work some garden soil and compost on bare ground.

We have planted fruit and shade trees in inhospitable soil by digging a hole large enough to accommodate root expansion until they're strong enough to push through the dirt.

You're right though, hard work.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:15 AM

Red face

I think thats why our yard during rainy season is like walking on a sponge! The water does not soak in very well and I think it is the red clay dirt.Its like glue trying to work with it .It sticks to your shoes and shovel.Surprising is that the plants we have managed to plant there are great.So go figure that one.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:19 AM

Heres an idea. My sister had a great idea for her yard swing.She used wood posts like, to form a square she put down plastic to keep the glass from coming through and filled it in with small pebbles. Also she put stepping stones in there.It looks great!The best thing is, she doesn't have to move the swing to mow under it.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:11 AM

Its hard to be too specific without knowing exactly what those flea-market items are, but here's a few hints:

Ask if they can be hung on the wall.

Ask if they can stand on display on a table.

Ask if they can stand on display on the floor.

Ask if they can be displayed as one item among others.

What about shelves, window sills, tops of cabinets, or in enclosed porches?

Don't forget that halls, pantries, and even certain closets can sometimes use a little decorative item.

Here's a neat site:

http://www.bhg.com/bhg/slideshow/sl...w.jsp?slideid=/
Old 09-04-2007, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Does anyone have any new and creative ideas. Maybe how to use flea market and yard sale items to decorate?

I think that going to the flea market and sale yards is a great place to find all lovely pieces, i like to think that i'm very creative when it comes to setting my house up so i like looking for new things even if they look ugly at the flea market or sales yard because i just like the look of it and can change whatever else i want on it if i don't like it.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:42 PM

Quote:

You might think of having what I'll call a "world eclectic" room... your flea market treasures can represent various places in the world and that would make the room quite a relaxing place to sit and dream, I'd think.